Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Thesis Statement and First Paragraph

My first topic for the second paper was comparing a history teacher I had in ninth grade to one I had in eighth grade. The two were very different and had dramatically different effects on the classes they taught and the quality of the learning, but the further I got into fleshing out the rough draft the more trouble I faced keeping content flowing. Eventually I decided there wasn't enough of a basis for a proper compare and contrast paper and the rough draft was scrapped. The new subject involves the methods of two different art teachers I've had. The following is the introduction, along with a rock solid thesis statement I've decided on.

Education is always different. This is a pretty simple concept that's supported by the existence of countless factors on learning, including the methods of the teachers, the learning style of the students and the subject being taught. Many subjects have very specific sets of requirements to be learned, like math, which is very formulaic in its demands and as a result is normally formulaic in its teaching. While some alternate methods may occasionally be used, at the end of the day, everyone has learned the same thing in essentially the same way. This may sound ideal from the point of view of an educator, and it's certainly ideal as far as learning math goes, but not the best to study for understanding the nature of education. Arts are the best suited to be studied for understanding the fundamentals of education, because the demands are just vague enough to let the possibilities for achieving them be limitless. Educators have as much freedom as they may or may not choose to allow, and the students' results reflect that. I've heard it said that "the only way to do art wrong is not to do art", and that's exactly the approach that will be taken comparing and contrasting the methods and results of two art teachers I've had.

No comments:

Post a Comment