Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Malcolm X vs Mike Rose

The piece by Mike Rose seams like something I'd read in a novel. The descriptions of the characters and the environment was very detailed, and sometimes seemed slightly comical. It was interesting to read, but the downside would be that it didn't do a great job of getting to the point it was trying to make, and that you had to read through a lot of description to make little progress. By comparison, Malcolm X's Learning to Read was quite a bit easier to get through while maintaining detail, and was very interesting just through the simple and straightforward presentation. Between the two I prefer Learning to Read, but they both have their upsides. When I go about writing paper 1 I'll need to draw a bit of the descriptions like used in Mike Rose's bit, but for the most part I want to try to do it like Malcolm.

No comments:

Post a Comment